Friday, February 07, 2020

Testimonials of Retrofit



With support from USAID, NSET-Baliyo Ghar is implementing Retrofit Trainings in 4 districts; Dolakha, Dhading, Nuwakot and Kageshwori Manahara Municipality of Kathmandu. Through 25 days retrofit training, a individual house of retrofit beneficiaries is being retrofitted and 6 masons from each site enhance their knowledge and skills on retrofit. They are expected to contribute in retrofit works in quake hit areas.

 "I ignored the advice to demolish my house, villagers regret of what they did"
 
Mr. Rudra Prasad Subedi and his retrofitted house in background in Mathani, Bhimeshwor -05 Dolakha. He retrofitted his partial damaged traditional house with support from Baliyo Ghar Program
"After working on government services for 20 more years, I could build my 2 and half storeyed house which got partial damage during Gorkha Earthquake. Our family stayed in temporary shelter for 2 years. Many of the villagers advised me to demolish the house, but my heart couldn't do so as I was attached to the house emotionally. In the due course, I happened to meet Baliyo Ghar Program team who helped my house get retrofitted. With 25 days intensive works, my house has been retrofitted and turned a quake safe house. I am damn sure, no such earthquakes like 2015's would shake our house, as it has been tied up by splint and bandage and jacketing around the walls. The persons who used to force me to demolish the house now come to see its original shape but with resilient capacity and get astonished. Local authorities appreciate my decision to retrofit the house as they say, I have preserved our traditional and cultural identity. I am quite satisfied and happy by the retrofit technology that our upcoming generations can also use this house without any despair and worries. There were several houses enlisted for the retrofit in the village but almost all have been demolished just to receive 3 lakhs rupees of government grant. The house-owners never thought to preserve the traditional architecture with enough rooms to accommodate. Observing my home in its original form, now they regret of what they did. "


"It was indeed a right decision that we decided to retrofit our house"


"I was not aware about the feasibility of retrofitting in masonry buildings which later Baliyo Ghar oriented me. Neighbors and relatives were giving pressure to demolish and reconstruct new one which I never wanted. It was indeed a right decision that we decided to retrofit our house. Every day 4/5 people come to see my retrofitted house, I am quite pleased to inform them about the technology implemented in my house, and some of the visitors have shown interest in implementing retrofit in their house too. There are several houses in Thansing and nearby areas which were partially damaged by the Gorkha Earthquake and the families are residing under the vulnerability. I urge them to retrofit their house as soon as possible. When I walk around my village and nearby areas, I cannot stop myself without briefing about the benefits of retrofitting house and the process to go with."

- Mr. Manilal Shrestha
Thansing Nuwakot

"Perception towards Retrofit Changed"
 “Our house built before the earthquake got minor cracks during Gorkha Earthquake. We were enlisted in the retrofit beneficiaries. At first I was quite annoyed with my son to go for deciding retrofit our house because I wanted not to get bothered by hammering and nailing the structure. But my son was dedicated to do and as per his plan we retrofitted our house with the assistance from Baliyo Ghar Program. Now my perception towards retrofit has changed, it is about making our unsafe houses better and safer. I urge others to do so.”
 Atimaya Giri, 68 (House-owner of retrofitted house)
Siddhalekh Rural Municipality-Chapeli, Kumpur, Dhading

No comments:

Post a Comment

कोविड १९ (कोरोना) को समयमा पनि रोकिएन दोलखाको पुनर्निर्माण

सानुमैयाँ श्रेष्ठ सामाजिक विकास अधिकृत, बलियो घर कार्यक्रम विश्व कोविड १९ को महामारीबाट गुज्रिरहेको बेला नेपालमा पनि त्यसको ठूलै असर परिरहेक...